Sunday, September 23, 2007

Quirky Book Nook


I regularly read a literary blog that is comprised of writers, full-time and freelance, literary academics, and avid readers. Recently, a member posted a forum discussion relating to his book/reading idiosyncrasies and asked other members to disclose their own quirks. I felt compelled to participate as J frequently makes comments about my bedside table; hence quirk number one.

- I make a habit of reading several books at once. I rarely read a book cover to cover before starting another. I'm not alone in my polygamist reading.

- Many of my books have myriad dog-eared pages. The pages don't signify a starting or stopping point in my reading; rather, the turned corners connote passages that I found particularly clever or moving. I suppose my marked pages belie something of a loose diary.

- If a highlighter or pencil was handy, its service was employed in lieu of turned corners.

- Typically, I write the date a book was begun and finished on the title page.

- I never throw away books. If pressed, I resell them to a used book store but only if absolutely required of me.

- I find it difficult to loan books to others for fear they will never find their way back to me.

- A book is my favorite gift.

What are some of your quirks? What's your favorite book?

*Don't be alarmed if you can read some of the book titles on my bedside table; I'm neck high in German perpetrator research!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't like to loan out books either. I'll loan them to Mom, she always gives them back. But anyone else, notsomuch!!