Friday, September 21, 2007

La Belle France

Everything seems to be set for my upcoming studies in France. The duration of the trip, a brief two weeks, should be sufficient as the study centers on the history of Paris (highly concentrated).

I am anxious to return, though it's only been a few months since I was last in France. Because of my studies, much of my time will be restricted to Paris, but I will have a few days reprieve to venture out of the capital. I will be staying with my good friend Holly in the 14th arrondissement. In the past, I've always lodged in the Quartier Latin, so it will be nice to embed myself in a new neighborhood if only temporarily. Of course this means that I'll have farther to travel to breakfast at Maison Kayser (I will think of you, Mom and Marlo)!

On this working sojourn, I plan to go to Strasbourg and peruse the Christkindelsmarkt, one of Europe's oldest Christmas markets, in search of a hand carved crèche and feast on Lebkuchen and Sachertorte (until what I'm sure will be surfeited collapse). If time allows, I also hope to travel to Reims to visit champagne houses.

As time draws nearer to my departure, I'm sure my reading will shift to the likes of Derrida and Colette (perhaps Balzac, too if I'm feeling particularly voracious), and CHYSY will be ousted from my playlist in favor of Agnes Mellon. If you'd like a trinket, just let me know!

*The above picture is of the Pont d'Avignon in Avignon, one time home to Popes and Vincent Van Gogh.

No comments: