Littlest opted for cheerleading again (coupling pom poms with spending time with her best friend proved to be too much temptation). Her personality seems to suit as she's really quite a bubbly girl. I don't know that her chants and shouts of "WOO" really helped the basketball players shoot for two, but we loved watching her!
Bop's fall swim season extended to fill the whole of the winter season. She worked incredibly hard swimming above 8 hours each week. There were days (usually butterfly days) where she'd ask me if I could help her wash her hair as her shoulders were so sore that they prevented her from doing it herself. Over the course of the season (and really, swimming runs year round here), I developed respect for the swim team, as it's an incredibly demanding sport. The high school aged swimmers were particularly fun to watch as they were graceful in the water. It's magical to watch Bop, too. I noticed a change in her body: shoulders broadening a bit, muscles lengthening, and stamina increasing considerably. We are so proud of her.
At the end of season's banquet, J and I were on pins and needles as the coach distributed medals and awards. He awarded them according to age and ability group, and no mention was made of Bop when her age group was called forward. I had a sick feeling that she had been forgotten. When only three rewards remained on the table, I admit that I teared up a bit. I badly wanted Bop to be recognized for her hard work and dedication when at times she truly didn't want to go to practice. I thought it important that she be recognized alongside of and in front of her peers, too. Two awards left. I then hear the head coach begin to describe a child that sounded remarkably like Bop. She was called forward and recognized as the most improved swimmer among the entire team of over 60 members. She shaved 27 seconds off of her freestyle throughout the season (the kick turn), 20 seconds off of her backstroke, and nearly 30 seconds off of her butterfly. She won heats throughout the season, earned points for her team, and was a member of the Tyrolean European divisional championship team. J and I have never been prouder of her; her face shown like the sun as she accepted her award. And she committed to swim the following season.
Log participated in wrestling, again. I have to say that it never gets easier in terms of watching him. Though it's his third year, I still find that I get a bit anxious when the whistle is blown. It's safe to assume that I would never survive watching Log play football (or any other contact sport really). Log seems to have a natural affinity for wrestling, and because he's a weasely kind of boy, he seems to be able to scoot, twist and turn his way out of most holds. This year, places weren't kept among the brackets, but I believe Log did place second overall based on his win/loss/tie record. Log is looking forward to reclaiming the top spot next year ;)
J was the team's head coach this year. Log NEVER listened to anything J told him and preferred that one of the assistant coaches sit in on his matches.
Log was recognized with several 'pin' medals and a trophy at the end of the year potluck. Please note that he is wearing argyle socks with shorts. He loves nothing more than argyle, and it's a battle not worth fighting.
All three kiddos are swimming this spring and will continue over the summer. They are lucky to be sharing a pool with a 2012 German Olympic swimmer. I know great things will happen this autumn with the competitive swim season.


No comments:
Post a Comment