The real cherry on my cake came when the grandmas offered to let me travel to Amsterdam overnight in order to meet J who'd been working with the Dutch following our return from Italy. Packing a backpack, I made my way to the Frankfurt Bahnhof and set out for the Netherlands.
Upon arrival, I met J and together we had sushi dinner (with no kiddos complaining about how yucky seaweed and raw fish is!), drove to Edam where we sampled yummy cheese, and visited a seaside town which offered spectacular views.
J finished his conference the following morning, and we drove to Keukenhof, renowned for its lovely gardens. Driving to the gardens, we passed field upon carefully planted field of tulips and hyacinths in a wide variety of colors. I rolled down my window so that the perfumed air could reach us in the car.
Keukenhof was magnificent with its many lovingly tended beds of flowers of myriad varieties. In fact, it something a bit akin to Dr. Seuss: lace edged tulips, tall tulips, small tulips, spiky tulips and cabbage blossom tulips! J and I found ourselves photographing many varieties we'd like to one day plant in our own garden. Collectively, the gardens may be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in nature.













2 comments:
Absolutely loved the gardens when I saw them. And i still a great fondness for tulips.
Such beautiful flowers! And I must say I envy all your travels. I have only been from GA to Ohio and thats it. I have never even seen Florida. I guess I will have to just continue to see it through your wonderful photos!
Post a Comment