Saturday, June 5, 2010

Every Road Leads To...

Rome.

I am sorry to report that the first words my mother-in-law heard as she emerged from the urine-scented Colosseo metro station were less than chaste. As she looked up at the ruins of the Colosseum, the bawdy first words she heard from an older man dressed as a gladiator were, "Would you like a picture? (She demurred) Don't worry, I have a little penis. It's terrible for me." Even spoken in Italian, that brief interlude was mortifying.

Despite the shock of being propositioned, both threw coins into the Trevi fountain in the hopes to return again!
Photobucket

This was not the forward gladiator but another. I think this picture sums up our time in Rome beautifully :)
Photobucket

Ceiling in the Vatican museum
Photobucket

Detail of Michelangelo's pieta housed in St. Peter's Basilica
Photobucket

St. Peter's Basilica never fails to inspire awe.


Detail of Raphael's fresco, 'The School of Athens,' in the one-time papal apartments of Julius II.

Close-up of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling

No comments: