Friday, May 2, 2008

Spanish Proverb

There is a Spanish proverb that states there is no such thing as happiness, only happy moments. Lately, even happy moments, where Matty is concerned, have been exiguous though J and I would be content with happy moments.

In the last nine days, he has strangled two children and received disciplinary action at school for hitting, scratching, kicking, pushing and spitting (not to mention all that he does at home). Today, his teacher sent a note home detailing seven instances of aggressive behavior and two citations of defiant behavior.

Though J and I are working diligently to have Matty deferred to a behavioral psychologist, the process through which we are forced to work is dilatory; our current request is stagnant, but we are hopeful that next week our efforts will come to bear.

In the meantime, we are researching Reactive Attachment Disorder (his most likely diagnosis per our social worker's assessment ) in the hopes that J and I will find a method of effectively coping/handling Matty's behavior. It seems as though J and I have reached an impasse with all tried measures ending in failure and frustration.

Please, if you think of us today, pray for continued strength, patience, understanding and enlightenment as we try to help our son find his place in this world and our family.

No comments: