Sunday, December 19, 2010

Kings of Leon

I had a wonderful time at the KOL concert in Frankfurt on 9 December; an early Christmas gift :) I went with my German friend, Katharina, who kindly drove us to the train station so we didn't have to face traffic once in Frankfurt. Once on the train, I was surprised as she pulled out an impromptu picnic consisting of two glasses, napkins, a bottle of red wine, a bottle of white wine and crackers. She explained that the crackers were brought along to offset the effects of the wine so that we didn't get tipsy. I also laughed as she told me the crackers were diet ones so I didn't have to feel too guilty about consuming mass quantities of wine and carbohydrates ;)

When we arrived at the Festhalle, Katha still had a bit of red wine left in the bottle. The German security guard who screened our handbags hated to see any kind of alcohol go to waste and allowed Katha to pour herself one last glass and carry it in to the venue. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

The Kings' opening act were The Whigs, a band from Athens, GA, and it made me think of college days listening to up and coming bands at the 40 Watt. The Whigs were engaging and often addressed the audience. It was wonderful to be the one providing translations as Katha asked, "What's he saying?"

The last concert I attended in Germany was Coldplay's and the audience was somewhat sedate (or drunk or blasted out of their minds with some other substance, who knows), but this concert had everyone on their feet. It was fantastic! Don't mind the shoddy camera work (I was dancing), but you can appreciate that the band sounds even better live!

*1st video is one I uploaded, the other videos are posted by other users on Youtube.







My favorite KOL song, Manhattan!

No comments: