Friday found me and littlest running errands in NYC for the bulk of the day. I learned that the tri-boro bridge is not where you want to be late afternoon: littlest and I sat in traffic for over an hour. The only consolation to the traffic misery was picking up P.F. Chang's for dinner.
Friday night, the whole family walked to Michie stadium to watch Army football take on Rutgers. As we left our home, a sleet mixture was steadily raining down. The kiddos hoofed it to the stadium, and we arrived at the game as it started. The first few minutes were action packed, but the cold proved too much for the kiddos despite being layered with long johns, jackets, hats, scarves and gloves. We left the game shortly after the first quarter and began the trek home. Unfortunately, Army lost 38-6.
Frozen Family
The year's first snow!
Saturday, our family attended a surprise 40th birthday party for our friend, Doug. We were glad to be able to celebrate with friends. We have known Doug and his wife, Marlo, for nearly eight years now and have been jointly stationed with them for as long; a rare occurrence in the service!
Doug and Marlo
Sunday, Bop attended a bowling birthday party, and J and I bowled with the other kiddos a few lanes down so as not to 'embarrass' Bop. Littlest was most thrilled to have a pink ball and cared little if she struck pins. Log did well and didn't seem to need the aid the bumpers offered. After hurling about 20% of their body weight repeatedly down an alley made for a long nap, so J and I were able to steal away enough time to watch a movie and relax.
Sunday evening, J and I hosted one of our cadets for dinner and enjoyed catching up with him. We made a caramel fondue for dessert that counteracted the bowling fatigue, and the kiddos were positively kinetic the remainder of the evening.
Today, J took the kiddos on a hike and picnic while I worked (a downside to working in the civilian sector is that Veteran's Day isn't observed). We were to have attended a Microsoft sponsored showing of the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular this evening, but Microsoft stipulated that children under five were not to attend, and we didn't think it fair to leave littlest out of the fun.
This week's activities show no signs of slowing. We're glad for the schedule as it will help to make time pass quickly: J and I return to Europe on the 23rd!


No comments:
Post a Comment