Sunday, October 18, 2009

Littlest's Birthday

J traveled to the U.S. for two weeks on business, and I was too tuckered out to blog during his absence (Log had chickenpox and a pipe burst in our stone loggia wall). Because J was traveling on Littlest's birthday, we postponed her party so that he could be present as he traveled last year on her birthday, too.

On her birthday proper, Log, Bop and I took Littlest to Tobolino's and had cake. For her party, we decided on the bowling alley as venue because a) I wasn't sure our home could accommodate 23 children and b) I wouldn't have to clean up the aftermath!

I adhered to Emily Post's modus operandi that if you wish to have 10 children attend, then one should invite 20 as half will decline as a rule of thumb. Instead of half declining, all accepted and everyone in her class and then some attended. Corraling 23 children spread across three lanes was a bit difficult, but we survived!

After bowling, lunch was served followed by cake. Littlest blew kisses as everyone sang to her and was reminiscent of Eva Peron gazing down upon her adoring masses; she's a bit dramatic that way.

Littlest had no idea that her guests would bring her presents as this was her first truly big party, and she thanked everyone in earnest. I was glad to see that she opened cards first before opening presents, though many of her friends saved her the trouble by offering her gifts that they unwrapped.

Gifts logged for thank you notes, J and I handed out treat bags (really, I'd like to meet the masochistic mother that derived this practice in a dark alley), and collapsed. Littlest left richer in dolls, dress up clothes, ponies, kites and games. We had a wonderful time celebrating our baby who is now FIVE years old. Tempus fugit.

Littlest in action
Photobucket

Photobucket

Littlest's Tinkberbell cake that a German bakery made for us; it was yummy!
Photobucket

Don't cry for me, Littlest!
Photobucket

Lunch and lots of balloons.
Photobucket

Bop and Log. I think Log was on a sugar rush hence the crazed look in his eyes.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Becky said...

Whoa! 23 kids. You are one brave, brave woman! : )