Saturday, April 18, 2009

Firenze

All Firenze pictures found here.  

Day two found us in Florence, Firenze, my favorite city in Italy which boasts the Uffizi, Pitti and Medici Palaces, Ponte Vecchio (J's favorite Firenze attraction), and a rich artistic legacy with many notables choosing to be buried there.  J and I last traveled to Firenze four years ago, and I was delighted to be back in the city if only for a brief stop as we continued the drive to our rented home in Agerola. 

Of course, Firenze prides itself in Brunelleschi's freestanding dome, still the largest in the world, engineered with innovative techniques for the time and is the coup de grace of Santa Maria del Fiore.  Ross King has written a detailed account of the Dome's construction that is enthralling.

My favorite place!  

Kiddos in front of Ghiberti's bronze Baptistry Doors.  



Detail of John baptizing Jesus which adorns the Baptistry.

Our time in Firenze was regrettably short, but I think I can contrive a reason to return!  

No comments: