Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hot Child in the City

As luck would have it, this past week proved to be a consummate NYC experience for me beginning with a two day operations meeting.

I left J and the kiddos Monday and returned home Wednesday morning after a whirlwind meeting that included gormandizing at several amazing restaurants and laying my head at a boutique hotel off of Times Square, The Muse, all in the name of client based research.

Fellow editors and I dined at Buddakan, Bar Boulud, Brasserie 44, The Mandarin Oriental, and Carmine's. I was also treated to a performance of Curtains featuring David Hyde Pierce and Debra Monk. It was wonderful to meet the other editors with whom I daily work and take in an adult experience of the city. If only I could have fit MoMA in as well.

Yesterday, I ventured to the city again with two girlfriends, to see Verdi's "Otello," based on Shakespeare, at the Metropolitan Opera. Renee Fleming portrayed Desdemona (her last portrayal of Desdemona was opposite Placido Domingo) and gave a riveting performance that gave me goose pimples on several occasions. I've had the great fortune of seeing Renee Fleming perform on two other occasions, and my friends fast became enthralled with her. Arguably, since Beverly Sills' death last year, Renee Fleming is the most acclaimed living soprano and has an amazing coloratura agility.

Johan Botha tackled the challenging role of Otello, which requires, "...visceral dramatic intensity, great vocal stamina, and abundant power," according to the NY Times reviewer Anthony Tommasini. Despite Mr. Tommasini's disappointment with Botha's performance on opening night, it seemed that Botha had warmed to the role by yesterday evening's staging. Mr. Botha was emotive with a solid sound.

My girlfriends and I dined at Josephina prior to the show.

The stage at the Met
Renee Fleming as Desdemona
"Otello" ensemble
The Met
The Met

No comments: