Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Chef de Cuisine

Bop and Log regularly attend cooking classes offered by Young Chef's Academy. They seem to genuinely enjoy mincing, dicing, measuring and stirring. I confess that I originally thought the classes (for ages three and up, mind you) would be limited to confections like krispy treats and jazzed up peanut butter sandwiches; I couldn't have been more wrong! Thus far, the kiddos have made (and eaten, too!) chicken bruschetta pasta, homemade pretzels, shortcakes, calzones and the list goes on and on. I've been thoroughly impressed by the owner and his ability to relate to the kids and make cooking fun and educational.

Tonight, the kiddos cranked out crêpes and various accoutrements like chopped strawberries, whipped cream, diced peaches and a ricotta based chocolate cream. Even though Nutella was not used during the production of the crêpes, they were still yummy!

Bop and Log, complete with make-shift pastry bags

Log, ready to fill his crêpe with chocolate ricotta cream

Boppy (with a rather oddly shaped crêpe)

Voilà! Finished!

Tonight's cooking class seemed to be an extenuation of our household's "French cooking theme" of the week. For dessert last night, I made a Tarte Chocolat Caramel from Clotilde Dusoulier's Chocolate and Zucchini cookbook; it was divine though I believe J used the word "gluttonous" to describe the tarte. I didn't think to take a picture until it was half eaten, but maybe next time.

No comments: