Sunday, December 21, 2008

London, Coldplay and a Break for Mama!

Though I was ecstatic to see J, a much needed break was also in order.  I met my friend, Jeannie, on Friday in London for a girls' long weekend which both of us desperately needed. Because we'd both been to London before, our schedule allowed for some flex time.  We visited some of the usual tourist haunts and some a bit off of the beaten path:  I took the time to go to the British Library on my last day where I saw Austen's writing desk, and works in the hands of the likes of Hughes, Plath, Milton, and Handel.  Best of all, the library boasted a book store; a real one stocked to the hilt with mostly classical and some contemporary literature.  I miss book stores that feature works in English, so I spent most of my budget on Woolf and Winterson. Luckily, the Lufthansa agent turned a blind eye to my overweight suitcase. Speaking of Lufthansa, I was surprised to see that the airplane was decorated for Christmas with wreaths and ornaments adorning the bulkheads.  

The long weekend away allowed me the chance to renew and refresh, and it was wonderful to spend time with Jeannie. The cold, rainy weather did nothing to diminish our spirits. 

While I was away, J took the kids to an indoor swimming complex in Frankfurt, a holiday party, a birthday party and tried his hand at the school routine; he jumped head first into reintegration!  

Since 1947, the people of Norway send a Christmas tree to the people of London to show their thanks for support given to Norway during the Second World War.  Jeannie and I were fortunate enough to hear caroling at the tree's base on our first night in London.  The tree remains in Trafalgar Square until sometime around 12th night when it is mulched.  After listening to carols, we visited the National Portrait Gallery where we viewed the Tudor galleries and guffawed at the portraits of writers/poets that one always sees in texts and on dust jackets.
I promised Log that I'd look for Peter Pan! 
Pictures aren't allowed inside the Abbey proper anymore, but photographs are permitted in the cloisters.  The Abbey was filled with evergreen boughs for Christmas.
Westminster Abbey cloisters; sorry, I have a weakness for vaulted ceilings (I have two dozen or so pictures of the vaulted ceiling in the Conciergerie in Paris).
Stairwell inside the Tower of London.  Jeannie and I spent considerable time roaming in the Tower, though we didn't ice skate at the rink set up in the once moat.  At the time of our visit, the History Channel was sponsoring an interactive exhibit featuring medieval weaponry; I learned that I am not a proficient jouster.  To nurse my wounded ego, we went to Harrod's following our trip to the Tower.
London Eye
Capsule on the Eye
View of Parliament and Westminster Abbey from the Eye
Our cocktail evening at the Absolut Ice Bar.  Before entering, we were given a fur poncho with gloves to wear during our time in the bar.  Everything in the bar, the floor, the chairs, the tables, the walls, chandeliers, and the bar itself was all made of ice.
The cocktails were served in glasses made of ice.  After leaving the bar, we saw Christmas lights in the West End; lighted nets in the shapes of stars were strung at close interval across the streets.
Formal gardens at Hampton Court Palace.  Hampton Court began life as the residence of a cardinal before being surrendered to Henry VIII.  The palace witnessed court life until the mid 1700's.  We toured the Tudor Wing, the apartments of William III, and George II.
One facade, facing the formal gardens, of Hampton Court Palace.
In each window ledge, there was elaborate floral arrangements for the season.  The arrangements were deliciously fragrant.
The highlight of the trip for me was the Coldplay concert at the O2, a sprawling venue that featured indoor downhill skiing.
Viva la Vida!  I saw Coldplay during their Twisted Logic tour at Madison Square Gardens three years ago, but this concert was far superior.




Yellow
The band performed a segment of the concert one section over from me.



Because the band hails from London, they were gracious enough to perform an encore for the London crowd (who were quite rowdy!).  The show was amazing.

No comments: