Monday, January 5, 2015

(Some) Highlights of 2014

These photos aren't necessarily in order and will stop short of October as I'll publish individual posts then. Also, some of the photos are out of chronological order. 

This little love reached a whopping 90 pounds, and he was the 'runt' of the litter!  This dog receives more cuddles and kisses than all other family members combined!

My sister and I spent 10 days in Europe together and did not kill each other!  This trip was booked before I learned my family was moving to Europe, and I somewhat regretted having booked it…until we went.  I talk to my sister nearly every single day on the phone, but it's not the same as spending time with her.  We traveled to Wales, through England, and all over France.  Because of smog and in an effort to promote the use of public transport, the trains in France were free during our stay.  After several days at the Waldorf Astoria in Versailles (other hotels have been permanently ruined by that stay), we traveled to Compiegne, Chantilly, Rambouillet, Pierrefonds, and Maison Lafitte before settling in Paris.  

This guy had two procedures to correct plantar fasciitis, and both failed.  Since arriving in Belgium, he's undergone surgery.  I learned that my husband is quite the character while under the effects of anesthesia.   

We took a trip to Philly, and the kids had no idea what J was talking about as he shouted, "Adrian!" We managed to find and stay in the dodgiest part of the city causing the kids to voice their disdain for the place as a whole.  A cheesesteak couldn't even sway their opinions.  On the plus side, we visited the grave of my sister's favorite historical figure:  Ben Franklin!

Shortly after returning from Philly, this happened.  Our lives packed in boxes for the seventh time in twice as many years.  

It's also the seventh time we've had to live like this for an extended period.  

All so we could live here…Belgium!  Brussels still hasn't grown on us much, but we've developed a liking for cities outside of the capital region.  

Because of our move, I had to miss my twentieth high school reunion.  Oh, the things I could tell my 18 year old self about the funny machinations of life!

Soon after arriving in Belgium, we went to Germany.  We visited our flat in Mainz and found that very little had changed.  J took me to Berchtesgaden for our anniversary!  

The kids and I traveled to London and saw Matilda.

We also got to see the poppy installation commemorating the war dead of The Great War at the Tower; it really was something to behold.

We also visited the Harry Potter studios in Leavesden.  

A trip to London wouldn't be complete without a trip to the Rainforest Cafe!  The kids were thrilled to be so close to the elephant, but it made for a loud dinner.  

Log opted to have his birthday at a trampoline romper room type of place.  The party was scheduled to include an hour of jump time, and we thought an hour wouldn't be sufficient.  After 30 minutes, all of the guests were dripping in sweat, panting, and gulping water by the cupful.  

 Log got double the fun as we celebrated at home on the day of his birthday as well.  I think this kid will have a lifelong love of Germany and all things German.

Log participated in his school's 6th grade graduation and was recognized with a leadership award for his class.  He cleans up well!  We were thankful that my parents were able to attend Log's ceremony (and also babysit while J and I spent a night in the Shenandoah valley at a B&B).  

 Remember when I wrote that Log loves all things German?  When we traveled to Germany, he asked to visit the grave of Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron.  

We visited the flower carpet in Brussels' Grand Place; the entire square hosts the carpet made of millions of begonias.  

First day of school!

We traveled to Salzburg and visited a salt mine where...

…we got to use the miners' slides.  We discovered that the slides allow for quite a bit of speed and friction.  One's arse nearly caught fire while sliding down! Our tailbones hurt for nearly an hour afterward.

The haze and fog were so thick at the Eagle's Nest that Log nearly walked off of the mountain.  

Littlest landed a starring role in her school's production titled "A Snow White Christmas."  She was the Wicked Queen and did a BEAUTIFUL job.  We weren't sure our girl could pull off being mean, but she dug deep ;)  

No comments: