Meteorologists have claimed this winter is the coldest that Germany has known in 30 years. I was reminded of Forrest Gump and his description of the different kinds of rain as I watched snow fall for nearly a month: flakes the size of quarters, flakes that look as though they were cut from paper with their fine points and geometrical designs clearly visible to the naked eye, flakes that cut through the air with swiftness and sting the eyes, and soft, downy flakes.
Worse than the continual snowfall itself is the fact that Germany does little to clear its roadways which made traveling to and from school difficult to say the least. I learned that Germans scatter cinder and small bits of gravel on the roadways in an effort to offset traction concerns (perhaps they avoid salt because of the rust that can follow), but those efforts did little to combat the ice that resulted from daily melts and nightly freezes.
The melts caused the Rhein's water to swell and swallow its banks depriving us of our walking path.
Though I don't like driving in snowy conditions, I do find it relaxing and opted to neglect our blog in favor of reading while sitting in chair situated under a skylight. Snow also gives one an excuse to drink hot chocolate everyday :)
Last month also saw myriad school projects beginning with the requirement for Bop to construct an Anasazi dwelling. I confess that I had to google 'Anasazi' as I'd never heard of that particular tribe. In the end, the mock-up Bop and I crafted closely resembled the pueblo my grandmother and I built using cardboard, flour and water when I was in the second grade. The final result lacked the sophistication Bop aspired to achieve but fit the requirement bill.

Meanwhile, Log compiled a portfolio's worth of information about Abraham Lincoln to present to his classmates for his biography project. I asked Log why he'd chosen Lincoln when so many of his classmates gravitated toward football stars like Ronaldo and Beckham, and Log said that he'd like to learn why Lincoln was chosen to grace the penny (to celebrate the 100th anniversary of his birth, if you want to know). I'm beginning to think Log may be a stock trader or banker when he is older.
Meanwhile, Log compiled a portfolio's worth of information about Abraham Lincoln to present to his classmates for his biography project. I asked Log why he'd chosen Lincoln when so many of his classmates gravitated toward football stars like Ronaldo and Beckham, and Log said that he'd like to learn why Lincoln was chosen to grace the penny (to celebrate the 100th anniversary of his birth, if you want to know). I'm beginning to think Log may be a stock trader or banker when he is older.
Together, we researched Lincoln's life, produced a timeline, wrote a poem about his accomplishments and drew a picture of Lincoln which makes Angelina Jolie's pouty lips seem microscopic and bland by comparison. When researching Lincoln's significant acts as President, Log asked specifically about the Emmancipation Proclamation. I explained that the Proclamation issued an executive directive abolishing slavery and establishing equality (theoretically) as the Declaration of Independence intended. Log thought for a moment (I could see the gears turning in his mind, a trait inherited from his Daddy) and then asked if Jefferson had written the Declaration. When I replied that Jefferson is credited with the writing the Declaration, Log then asked what was meant by all men being equal if Jefferson himself owned slaves. Log quickly followed with a second question that centered on whether or not the founding fathers intended the pronouncement of equality to encompass ALL men. I was made happy to think that Log could not imagine discrimination. Maybe he will moonlight as a philosopher when he's not balancing books.
Additionally, Log was made star student of the week leading up to Valentine's Day and his status called for celebration! I read books to his class one day, ate lunch with Log another day, wrote a letter (along with J) describing why Log is special to us and made a scrapbook for Log to display on the star student wall. Log filled out a questionnaire and declared green his favorite color, Star Wars his favorite movie and reaffirmed his aspirations to achieve sainthood as his life's occupation.

Wrestling season is upon us again, and Log is doing well. This year, his aggression on the mat is more focused and his technique is greatly improved. He's already achieved a pin!
Wrestling season is upon us again, and Log is doing well. This year, his aggression on the mat is more focused and his technique is greatly improved. He's already achieved a pin!
Bop's racquetball is harder to capture with the camera, but I'll continue to try. After several practices, she is no longer afraid to lob the ball off of the back (plexiglass) wall and is making progress.


No comments:
Post a Comment