This morning marked the first day of school!
Each year as the start of the school year approaches, I find that I am filled with a kind of excitement (and not because I can reclaim a good portion of the day). I love buying supplies and labeling them (I uniformly label each marker and colored pencil with my handy label maker which I break out and use at every chance that presents itself). I like the look of crisp folders and pencil boxes stuffed with erasers, scissors, glue sticks and markers.
This morning, I laughed as I listened to my children grouse about an early wake-up call and thought to myself that one day they'll look back with fondness at a time of limited responsibilities and days spent with friends on the playground.
Armed with heavy, supply-laden backpacks and new lunch boxes, we set out for the bus stop. Bop was a bit embarrassed that I toted my camera to the bus stop, smiled begrudgingly and begged me to quickly put it away when the bus approached. The bus driver, seeing my camera, understood that I wanted to snap a few shots and obliged me by remaining at the curb long enough for me to thoroughly embarrass Bop. Log peered over the window's edge smiling (I could tell because his eyes took the shape of two croissants) while Bop's mouth assumed the shape of an 'O', eyes became wide, and face flushed a deep shade of crimson. I then realized that this year will be different. My oldest baby is showing an independent streak and striking out on her own. Next thing you know, she'll be asking me about wearing chapstick and nail polish.
Littlest and I waved as the bus drove away from the curb (adding insult to injury, I'm sure) and walked to her Kindergarten. Much as I've anticipated the start of school, I found that I had a heavy heart. And so a new year begins!


1 comment:
The first day of school can be a shock after the summer holidays.
Ours go back on 7 September.
Post a Comment