Friday, October 24, 2008

Happy Birthday, Littlest!

Littlest recently enjoyed her fourth birthday. The lucky duck had three birthday cakes this year: one on her birthday proper, one at school, and one upon Grandma’s arrival. For our quiet party at home, Littlest chose a pink (is there really any other color?) ice cream cake and Backyardigans decorations. At her kindergarten, she had a ‘Geburtstagfest’ where she was a guest of honor and presented with a crown and gifts from her class. It’s customary for the birthday child to bring treat bags to hand out to the other children. I ordered pre-filled Mickey Mouse treat boxes online and ordered a cake to match thinking something so uber-American would be a bit of a novelty. Only later did I learn that Muslims revile Mickey Mouse as something near to Satan (if I am not much mistaken, an edict has been issued stating as much), so the one Muslim girl in her class didn’t partake of the cake or treats. Otherwise, Littlest’s birthday had no political impact! When Grandma came, Littlest had a party with her and ate a Halloween decorated cake, and we celebrated again.

Littlest loved all of the pink dress up and ballerina gifts that she received! She has been twirling, bowing and pirouetting since! As I watched Littlest bejewel herself and slip on play shoes and dresses, I couldn’t believe that my littlest child (the last I’ll have) was four and becoming such a young lady. Lately, with J gone, I have a tendency to think days draw out, but I was quickly reminded how quickly time passes as I looked at my little girl’s sweet face.

Littlest all dressed up in her signature color

Littlest and Grandma


Littlest at school





No comments: