The idea that Germany rates the most efficient of countries in the world is a myth (at least in terms of telecommunications). Deutsche Telecom was once a monopoly, and I’m told the service it provided once upon a time was first rate and dare I say…expeditious.
Recently, several other telecom companies have entered the game, which according to any sort of economic model should have driven all of the involved companies to compete to drive prices down and provide stellar service; a win for the consumer. This hasn’t happened. The clincher is that DT is still responsible for activating the physical lines while the consumer now has the choice of other carriers for the actual phone service. So while the government put other Ronaldino-caliber players on the field making for a potentially world-class telecom club team, DT feels its show boater status has been compromised, and as the goalie, refuses to throw the ball back in to play making the whole team impotent (and the fans are left scratching their heads). No one has seen fit to raise a red card.
So, each week I genuflect to the gods that be DT and grovel in the hopes that I will be shown pity and mercy. Instead of receiving a shower of honey and manna that would be internet and phone service, I’m doused with acid rain-like obscurities and a hail storm of empty assurances: “There’s no set activation date yet, but I’m sure it will be sometime soon,” or my personal favorite, the completely unapologetic, “I don’t know when you’re line will be activated.” How can DT not know; isn’t it their job to know?
I’ve played my hand throwing down my, “My husband is gone,” card as well as my, “I’m alone with FOUR children, what if I needed to call an ambulance?” card. This culture values poker faces, so tears aren’t aces in the hole. Rather, if I cried, DT would probably feel that I was in more need of psychiatric care than phone service.
I continue to be relegated to using the library’s computers, and my shame and defeat aren’t unnoticed by the staff who greet me with, “Still no phone service?” each visit. At this point, it’s somewhat patronizing. In short, until a time that is hopefully not in the distant future, my posts will be unaccompanied by pictures.


No comments:
Post a Comment