Monday, September 26, 2011

Costa del Sol

It's disgraceful that my first post after a lengthy hiatus should be one that doesn't include pictures of the kiddos, but I felt compelled to continue chronologically.

For my birthday, J offered up a four day weekend in Costa del Sol with two girlfriends. I didn't have any reservations about his gift as Germany was rainy and gray and the thought of warmth and sunshine was enough to tempt me.

After a dubious start that involved being flashed by an inebriated man, our flight into Malaga, the city of Picasso's birth, was uneventful. Within minutes of landing, the three of us were flop sweating and reveling in the notion that we were hot! Our rental car left us wanting but was reliable enough (which was a concern of ours as we overhead a client complaining that a tow truck was needed in order to remove a non-operational car from the road).

Our apartment was only a few blocks off of the beach and was truly lovely. While in Spain, we visited the Alhambra and Seville. We also spent copious amounts of time on the beach (me safely huddled under an over-sized umbrella as I don't tan) drinking sangrias, laughing, and relaxing. The beach is supremely relaxing when on one's own and not constantly fretting that a child is on the brink of drowning or burning.

I haven't laughed so much in quite some time. It was a wonderful birthday weekend, but I was happy to return home to my family, too, if only to see Littlest's face when presented with a bright red flamenco dress :)

Inside the Alhambra







View of city from Alhambra walls

I'm determined to have bouganvilla when J and I settle in our home.


We learned that it's quite acceptable to dig a hole, relieve yourself (no matter what your order of business), and fill in the hole while visiting the beach! I was amazed by the things we witnessed while on Carvajal beach the tamest of which was the turquoise Mediterranean Sea.


We learned that every restaurant makes sangria differently. Hold the fanta, please.

Spain wouldn't be Spain without a few crucifixes, effigies, and ...


matadors! I've never seen a bullfight because I don't think I could stomach the cruelty. I was in Pamplona during the running of the bulls six years ago and couldn't bring myself to enter the arena.


Seville was stunning, most notably the cathedral. Below is a picture of Christopher Columbus' (or Cristóbal Colón's) tomb.

No comments: