Monday, July 7, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Riding the blog range once more. The last half of June was consumed with sorting, packing and deciding what was going to go in storage as our family prepares to move to Germany. Additionally, J and I had the unenviable job of ensuring that our house would pass inspection by painting (oh the horrors of painting corners and trim), cleaning, and endeavoring to enliven the lawn a bit (J and I took turns working at the house and entertaining the kiddos). All of the aforementioned taskers made for grievous two and a half weeks which I am thankful are behind us.

The kiddos are at an age where the impact of a move is palpable; all were a bit out of sorts as our home was reduced to dozens of pallid boxes. There was a certain solemnity as we watched our lives (in terms of the material) rolled in paper and generically categorized as 'master,' 'kids,' kitchen,' and 'misc.'

Matty appeared to be most affected by the move and not surprisingly so. On the third day of packing, I took Matty to his psychology appointment. The latter half of the appointment was spent assuring Matty that he was accompanying our family on the move as he had been quite anxious. Upon returning home after the appointment, Matty ran to the house only to discover that two Russian movers were loading boxes from his room onto a truck; this did nothing to reassure Matty that he was moving WITH our family. In fact, Matty was convinced the Russian movers had come to return him the the orphanage and an hour's worth of therapy was irrevocably lost.

Bop and Log were sad to say goodbye to their school friends while littlest viewed the move an an innocuous going on. J and I felt that it was time to move on and could not be more elated about our new home.

Boxes boxes everywhere!
Cirque du Soleil type painting
Log was not happy to see his room packed away.

*In the days to come, I plan to 'catch up' on the last few weeks, so please check back!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Good luck with the move! I hate trying to pass those housing inspections - so stressful. I can't wait to hear more.

Thanks for the cupcake decorative liners link. They are adorable.