Sunday, March 21, 2010

March

March has certainly come in like a lion but shows no promise of becoming lamb-like as of yet. In spite of last week's light snow, I've noticed that green shoots are pushing their way out of the earth and it's beginning to smell like Spring.

We've not traveled as a family this month, but we've been busy none the less. Here's a snippet of what's been going on in our lives:

I had quite a shock when a man entered my home unbidden and begged money to feed sick circus zebras! Have you heard anything more ridiculous?

We sold the van! After refusing the first offer which would have seen the van shipped to Africa, we accepted an offer from a British gentleman. Next Friday will be our last trip in our van (provided she doesn't get cheeky in the meantime).

I've been busy planning for our return trip to Italy (with our Mothers!)

J continues to travel for work with Norway being the next stop.
I've been taking an Italian course, and I LOVE it!

We've played lots of games while a nasty virus has been passed around like a hot potato.

Log got a helping hand from Bop in the wood shop where he built his pinewood derby car. Log's race will be held on the 28th!

Bop's month included building a leprechaun trap complete with flashing lights and a pound of German glass glitter (I kid you not. My house still looks like Tinkerbell drunkenly flew through it). Bop's school work has centered on the Terra-Nova Test, and she's been quite thankful for a week of no homework. Bop also finished her raquetball season and was delighted to receive her trophy! All three kiddos will begin soccer in the upcoming week.

Littlest, who is always happy, continues to paint pictures of rainbows, flowers and unicorns and is making great progress in reading. A leprechaun came to her preschool class and left a sack of gold, chocolate coins for her. She's convinced the treat had something to do with her faithful rendition of her rainbow painting. Earlier this month, I asked Littlest the secret to her happiness, and without hesitation she replied, "Love." Smart girl.
*I will be posting quite a few pictures of the girls later this week.

I traveled to the U.S. to meet my new niece whom I was happy to spoil and hold ALL day of each day of my visit! Though my niece enjoyed being snuggled, I'm not certain that my sister is enjoying the after effects.

While visiting my sister, we traveled to a nearby nature preserve where we got up close and personal with Longhorns...

Prairie Dogs and Buffalo (which made me think of Kevin Costner and 'Dances With Wolves').

I enjoyed my stay with my sister during which time I learned the following things: I can't hold a candle to Freddie Mercury's vocal prowess on Guitar Hero; Orange Tree Frozen Yogurt is heaven; my nephew sleeps upside down; and I can still manage to buy superfluous things when shopping at Target.

Europe's championship Wrestling tournament was held yesterday, 20 March. The girls entertained themselves by drawing Alice-type maps and sent themselves off on a quest (We saw the movie last week, and this begs a slight diversion. Bop and Log were at times afraid of the computer animated creatures. When the movie was over, I looked at Littlest and found that she was crying. Thinking that she had been afraid of the battle scene, I asked if she was alright. She said that she wasn't afraid but only sad at the thought that Alice and the Mad-Hatter may never see each other again; little romantic tenderfoot that she is).

Log was the silver medal winner this year much to his chagrin, and I really mean to his chagrin. Log came into the match as last year's champion and had come off the previous match with two pins and a points shut-out. I often say that there are times where I don't see much of myself in my children, but I caught sight of myself (and my own poor sportsmanship which I lay at my father's feet :) when Log lost his second match in the third round. Log was not gracious and insisted that his opponent had locked hands and choked him. There's no doubt that the opponent was rough as Log's neck bears bruises and blood blisters, but the referee had not noticed locked hands. Because Log had been ahead the previous two rounds and had even caused his opponent to cry, he felt that he had been cheated and proceeded to turn beet red and cry out for nearly ten minutes (thankfully, he held his disappointment at bay long enough for me to take him outside of the gym). Log loses RARELY, and this was a good lesson in humility for him. I wasn't proud of his tantrum, but I was extremely proud when he later apologized to his coach for being a sore loser. Of course, Log had recovered sufficiently to accept his silver medal with a smile. Well done, buddyroe!

Log in action!

No comments: