The first Passion Play was staged in 1634/35 when, fearing the Bubonic Plague, citizens vowed to perform the Passion Play every 10 years if the village was spared. The Plague did not claim many lives in the village, and the citizens kept their word. Today, the play is performed in every year ending in a zero. In 2010, the play will be performed from March through October; tickets went on sale for this event beginning in 2008. The play requires the support of nearly every member of the village. J and I have plans to attend next year.


Woodcarving is a livelihood in this region with woodcarvers attending a school nearby. Shop windows were filled with wares: some painted some not but all beautiful.


Six years ago, J and I happed upon a woodcarving shop in Berchtesgaden where he fell in love with an Alpine Climber hanging lamp. Thinking it too expensive at the time, he passed on the opportunity to purchase the lamp regretting the decision ever since. Determined to purchase a similar lamp in Oberammergau, we visited several shops before settling on the Eich workshop. The workshop, unlike other shops in town, had its own visible work bench covered in tools: hammers, chisels and other tools which didn't amount to more than a fine needle with a handle. Herr Eich was accommodating and offered to switch the socket to suit the far less expensive American bulbs. I found a hand carved Krippe (creche) that I couldn't resist though the prices restricted my purchases to Mary, Jesus and Joseph. I plan to add to the Krippe during the remainder of our time here. I plan to post pictures of the Krippe separately. Below is Herr Eich holding J's lamp; the climber's face closely resembles that of the carver!







No comments:
Post a Comment