Sunday, August 31, 2008

Strasbourg

The weekend prior to J's departure (boo hoo), we decided to drive to Strasbourg in the Alsace region of France.  This particular region has traded hands between the Germans and French for some time now; the Germans are quick to tell that the region is rightfully (and originally) theirs, but the French have made some improvements.  

Strasbourg is an interesting city as it is a delightful fusion of the two cultures. Sauerkraut is featured on nearly every bistro's menu but is charmingly referred to in its French from choucroute.  Architecturally, the city appears almost entirely German with its half timbered houses dotted with winsome hanging baskets and window boxes.  

I was grateful to go to France as French, because of my recent studies there, comes more easily to me than German, though my German is becoming fresher in my mind.  Our chief diversion was walking through the squares and along the canals.  Of note, Gutenberg invented the first moveable type printing press here making it possible for books to become available to the masses.  John Calvin sought political refuge here.  Goethe studied here.  La Marsaillaise, the rallying cry of the French Revolution, was composed here.  Apparently in 1518, 400 city residents were afflicted with a dancing plague in which they gyrated for weeks before succumbing to death because of stroke, heart attack, or exhaustion!  

J and I didn't kick up our heels, but we did enjoy visiting the cathedral and buying a local wine called Eau de Vie, a wine sweetened entirely by the fruit and without sugar.  I am anxious to return as Strasbourg is generally said to have the largest/oldest Christmas market in Europe.  

The boys on a 108 year old carrousel near the Petite France quarter

Bop on her steed!

Littlest on her 'Cinderella' pony.  Thankfully, Littlest chose a horse on the lower section where she did not garner a clear view of the voluptuous (and nude) women that adorned the ceiling.

Hundreds of candles lit in prayer inside of the cathedral

Beautiful hanging baskets

Cathedral and canal

J standing next to a statue erected in Gutenberg's honor

A timbered (and crooked!) house

1 comment:

MH said...

I'm so glad you are back to blogging. I'm excited about enjoying your time in Germany through this blog...with your words I can almost taste the blackberries! How long is Jeff gone? I didn't realized he'd be leaving so soon. I'm sorry. It looks like you have plenty to keep your mind occupied! Ross graduated a few weeks ago and is deep into the job search. I'll keep you posted.