
I'm sure that you all know that I am a lover of chocolate in all of its glorious forms particularly mousse. Mousse means 'foam' in French and is classically made with egg yolks and whites and not cream as we Americans tend to think. When made properly, the texture is exquisite; the concoction is light, rich, and nearly evaporates in your mouth upon contact.
Since true to form mousse contains raw eggs, it's not a dessert that I choose to serve my children though I willingly risk salmonella poisoning in order to consume it.
I recently came across a recipe from Nigella Lawson entitled 'No Worries Chocolate Mousse' that substitutes marshmallows (guffaw) and cream for the yolks and whites. A bit skeptical, I converted the measurements and proceeded. What ensued was quite surprising. Though the mousse looked a bit different from a purist version while folding, it set rather beautifully and rightly captured the texture which makes the recipe worthy of a go.


No comments:
Post a Comment